Title 8 — ALIENS AND NATIONALITY
CHAPTER 12 — IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY
SUBCHAPTER II — IMMIGRATION
Part IX — MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
Source: Legal Information Institute at Cornell University Law School
(a) In general
Notwithstanding any other provision of Federal, State, or local law, a Federal, State, or local government entity or official may not prohibit, or in any way restrict, any government entity or official from sending to, or receiving from, the Immigration and Naturalization Service information regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual.
(b) Additional authority of government entities
Notwithstanding any other provision of Federal, State, or local law, no person or agency may prohibit, or in any way restrict, a Federal, State, or local government entity from doing any of the following with respect to information regarding the immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual:
- Sending such information to, or requesting or receiving such information from, the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- Maintaining such information.
- Exchanging such information with any other Federal, State, or local government entity.
(c) Obligation to respond to inquiries
The Immigration and Naturalization Service shall respond to an inquiry by a Federal, State, or local government agency, seeking to verify or ascertain the citizenship or immigration status of any individual within the jurisdiction of the agency for any purpose authorized by law, by providing the requested verification or status information.
(Pub. L. 104–208, div. C, title VI, §642, Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009–707.)
- Section 1182 — Inadmissible aliens
- Section 1227 — Deportable aliens
- Section 1324 — Bringing in and harboring certain aliens
- Section 1324a — Unlawful employment of aliens
- Section 1324b — Unfair immigration-related employment practices
- Section 1324c — Penalties for document fraud
- Section 1324d — Civil penalties for failure to depart
- Section 1373 — Communication between government agencies and the Immigration and Naturalization Service
- Section 1424 — Prohibition upon the naturalization of persons opposed to government or law, or who favor totalitarian forms of government
Source: U.S. Government Printing Office